Friday, April 21, 2006

Another non-scary/non-sad update (but not a funny one)


Last night was interesting, except for the parts when I was really bored.
I made it to the hookah lounge after all the scary weather finished (for a while). It was pretty dead, so I set up in the corner and waited. The staff of hip youngsters were charming, with refreshingly retro taste in music--I heard Cream from my childhood, and Talking Heads from my Punk days, so that was nice. Then it started getting busy around midnight. All these college kids, crowding in to share a sheesha and play board games. I shit you not. I did a couple of freebie demo sessions, which lead to a pair a paying clients--two charming young women from the table directly next to my chair. They were a bit cash poor, so I did 5 minute sessions for them, and made ten bucks. It's going to take a little time for the customers to adjust, and remember to bring extra cash. I'm not worried. Also, there was a really cute Chiahuahua that looked like a tiny greyhound, and some of the students that arrived a little "altered" found the contact juggling to be a bit mesmeric.
I have two table clients today, so my adventures in hookah land may be cancelled tonight--I'll have to see how much energy I have. I admit, I really enjoy the place--it smells interesting.
oh, yeah--I have reason to suspect that Kurt is a banjo player.

5 comments:

M said...

I miss bands like Talking Heads, that had great lyrics.

Kurt said...

If I had
No horse to ride
I'd be found a-crawlin
Up and down
that rocky road
Going to see my darlin'

mendacious said...

you can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind...

i'm a bit disturbed by the interesting smells part but uh, you know the fact that kurt might be a banjo player saved me from any further association.

Trey said...

some of the smells are a bit industrial--they use charcoal briquets to light the tobacco, and they light those with propane torches. So it smells a bit like a arsonist's crossed with a tobacconist's.

delta said...

I'm sure it sounds crazy too, music, talking, *bubbles*! I'm not quite convinced that hookahs aren't just an excuse for grown-ups to make bubbling sounds.

It's not really hip to be so predictable, but then I'm not hip - I love Once in a Lifetime

Blog Widget by LinkWithin