Wednesday, March 09, 2005

What-a-Bollocks

Here we go again....................................

There is a chain of hamburger restaurants here in Texas called "Whataburger". They started out small in the '50's, and have grown steadily. For fast food, they've been rather decent;never the less, I am boycotting them due to a particularly egregious advertising campaign they've launched. Allow me to run this 30 second spot down for you:

Announcer(voice over) as two typical, marginally overweight american males sit at their table says( I paraphrase) "You know that feeling you get when you are about to enjoy your (insert product name) and you notice your buddy ordered HIS with (list optional ingredients available)? We call that "being out-what-a-burgered".
Ok, is it just me, or do you find it offensive/distasteful/just plain fucking SAD that they are making ordering fastfood into a competition? To inject envy and one-upsmanship into a shared meal for me illustrates the concept of "the banality of evil" rather literally. For fuck's sake, the first poor sad bastard in the ad looked perfectly content at first--he had, after all, ordered what he wanted to eat, and should be happy with it. It shouldn't bloody matter that his chum ordered something a touch more elaborate. Envy, greed, coveting thy neighbor's burger--people, please!
This ad not only fails to make me want their product, it makes me want to spew until I bring up mastodon steaks my ancestors ate.(sorry!)
As this chain of restaurants is limited to(mostly) Texas, I am glad that most of the world will be spared this eating-disorder inducing bit of bad taste, and disgusted that the ad agency decided to pander to the worst aspects of Texas culture.
Excuse me, I must go somewhere private and vomit out of sadness.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin