Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Pop Culture: Litmus test of Narcissism and Cruelty? Or just Bad Taste?

Oh, goodie! The mail is here! What wonders will I find today? Oh, look! A catalog full of T-shirts! What clever slogans might they bear?
Has the wizard called you about your missing brain?
(yes, he said I could pick it up along with your missing tact)
I am always on my mind
(you really don't need a t-shirt for this--we kinda guessed already)
It was the best of times--until YOU showed up
(yeah, then I made you stop masturbating in public--you'll live)
If i'm talking, you should be taking notes
( I am--it's part of my research on the tacky and clueless. I'll tag your ear later)
Yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking...
(ugly doesn't scare me)
If you don't have something nice to say, a blank stare usually gets the point across
(the point being "I'm inarticulate")
Caution: i'm busy formulating a withering retort
(here's my e-mail--so I'll be hearing from you in a week or two?)
I know right from wrong, but I choose to ignore it
(yeah--I was here for the election--you really DON"T have to advertise)
In my country, I'm normal
(sigh)
Dare to be average at best
(SIGH)
if you can't rise above it, sink below
(like we need encouragment to do THAT)
yeah. I've got the time. It's time for YOU to leave
( finally, we agree on something. I'll just be collecting my passport)

6 comments:

M said...

What words would you put on a t-shirt?

delta said...

lol! They almost defy belief... I quite like the imaginary foundation's line of t-shirts... "Rise Above", "Think for yourself", "Keep it Surreal" etc :)

Could I be so cheeky as to reflect your question back at you, Mariana? :)

Trey said...

my favorite choice for a t-shirt slogan would have to be (considering my location)
"spare me your little boy macho power trips"--I wish there was a better gender inclusive take on this--'round these parts you run into insensitive macho women,too
(Texas! what can I say?)
Another good choice is "who are you, and why are you reading my shirt?"--absurd always makes me smile (so I grin like an ape some days!:) )

M said...

Those T-shirts at Imaginary Foundation are brilliant! I love that 60's, Yellow Submarine-ish look!

I don't know what I'd put on a t-shirt. Maybe "My other T-shirt is an Armani"?

Whitney said...

There's actually a retailer that sells them here in Austin. Sweeet. The clip art sort of reminds me of Monty Python flying circus.

Trey said...

Yes, love the cool imanginary foundation--thanks for the tip, D!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin