Wednesday, March 30, 2005

HIV Impact on Culture pt 1: The Decriminalized Penis

In school, back in the 70's, we were shown a film version of Future Shock-- sort of a warning -"brace yourselves, things change before you are ready for them to". Happily, I can report my experience has been spread among future mild irritation and future relief.
In the relief column is the decriminalization of the penis. Growing up I often felt like I had the Medusa in my pants-- something the mere sight of would cause calamity. Tonkers were the ultimate taboo-- not to be depicted or mentioned. ( A really bizarre attitude in a male dominated society)
With the spread of HIV people were forced to think about and talk about prophylactics-- plonkers, condoms-- those thingies that go on...........a penis. With the threat of a lethal STD, we could no longer afford to be squeamish, coy, or just in denial about the male sexual apparatus.
And here we are. We have looked the penis in the.......penis, and we haven't turned to stone. Or a pillar of salt.

1 comment:

M said...

I had never thought of it that way, as something good to have actually come out of the AIDS tragedy.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin