Friday, January 27, 2006

Just call me "South Park"



I received the name 山市 (Shan Shi) in 2003 when I took refuge and became a buddhist. I only just became curious as to the meaning. After following various translation threads (I still haven't heard back from the gent with the same name that I e-mailed), I found a site that translated the characters thusly:
山 (shan) mountain, hill, peak,rising
市 (shi) town, market, city, fair
so, "Mountain town" would be a fair choice......as in "redneck mountain town" of the song in "South Park-Bigger,Longer, Uncut". Suits me better than "rising market", "peak market" or
"hill fair".
I kinda suspect I was given the name because Austin is a very hilly town. These things are supposed to be humbling, BTW.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about "Hill Country Fare"? Or is that too HEBish?

M said...

So you didn't want to be called "Radiant Dawn of a Bright new Day"? ;)

Kurt said...

I like "Kwai Chang Caine."

Blog Widget by LinkWithin