Monday, February 06, 2006

Newsy Update


I'll be away from all the internets (1,2,and 3) the 9th through the 14th or so-- I'm changing providers, and could REALLY use the time to work on the MNM website. To prepare for my almost week away from cyber-civilization, I'm stocking up on canned goods, bottled water, and
crosswords.
In other news, the beautiful and talented Dawn is returning to the stage in the role of Mrs. Cheveley, in a new production of Wilde's An Ideal Husband. This is her second time in the role, and it promises to be memorable. She carried the show last time, and will no doubt have the new production securely in her pocket.
Dawn's idea of an ideal way to spend superbowl sunday was to take me to see Brokeback Mountain. As I am one of the last 20 people on earth that hasn't blogged about it yet, here goes:
Damn. In a good way.
I totally get why it's up for awards-- the cinematography was gorgeous, the directing artfully subtle, and the performances were all around stellar. The supporting cast deserves more attention--there wasn't a weak performance to be found. The characters were believable, human, and sympathetic.
There has been some buzz about the whole "staight actors playing gay roles" thing. Sexual orientation (IMHO) is like eye color or right/left handedness. I don't have to believe that the actors actually are the characters they play. But I do live in a town where the theatres indulge in a lot of "non-traditional casting".
Oh, and Dawn? She totally cried at the end. Our girl is a hard sell, so take that into consideration.
Pictured above--the lovely Ms. Erin smolders

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will Dawn see it with me?

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't put too much stock in Dawn crying. I've seen her break down in hysterics when a bartender tells her there's no more Bass Ale.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin