Saturday, March 18, 2006

Working Class (Super)Heros


I know, I live under a rock, and they've only just wired it for cable. So I've only just seen the new Dr. Who series.
I must say I was charmed. Gone are the tatty sets and costumes. Equally absent are the posh accents. Bravo!
I was a huge fan of the original series, but it seemed all the old Dr's were Royale Academy trained Shakespearian actors--as were the supporting cast, for the greater part. Well, no more--the new Dr has a northern accent ("If you're an alien, why do you sound like you're from the north?" "Many planets have a north.")
Equally charming is the Rose character. She's working class, free of racial bigotry, and has a silly moo for a mum. So I'll be tuning in.

1 comment:

M said...

Fortunately British actors learned a lot from the American method, and blended it with their thespian tradition. Hell, nowadays you can see Shakespeare performances updated to the modern days, and plaid by actors of all ethnicities, with their natural accents.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin