Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Xenophobia Haunts Us Still


Mariana has written an insightful post on bigotry @ Gatochy's Blog http://gatochy.blogspot.com/-- it stirred up more than I felt would be appropriate in the comments box, hence this post of my own.
On the heels of our national disaster, this topic is quite timely. While the majority of people have shown compassion for their fellow man, there have been a number of bigots spouting their hatred, as well.
I remember Dr. King. I recall the Watts riots. The U.S. was a haven of institutionalized racism in my childhood. The word "nigger" was openly used in polite society, as was "nigger lover". Bigotry was mostly unchallenged, and those who did oppose it were marginalized and vilified. People who considered themselves to be christians denied the basic humanity of black and hispanic citizens-- claiming that they were soulless animals, just waiting to overrun the country and rape all the white women. It was a disgusting time here. Our state and local governments enforced the division of ethnic groups, with bathrooms set up for men, women, and "colored". I remember anglos openly staring with hostility at any person of color driving a new car-- as though it had been stolen from them.
I came across this photo in today's paper. This gentleman haunts me. I first noticed his expression-- it looks kind and friendly to me; even in the face of this horrific tragedy, he smiles toward the photographer. Then I was struck by his apparent age and the evidence that he has been doing physical labor, even into his elder years. His hair is white-- beard and chest hair included. Look at the strong arms, chest, and shoulders. This man has obviously been working hard. I really doubt-- given the state of poverty in Louisiana-- that he got that body at the gym. A lifetime of hard labor is more likely where he developed his physique. Where he got the spirit to keep smiling in the face of disaster and grotesque economic disparity is what I want to know.
While fewer people are openly racist these days, it seems that those who embrace racial hatred do so more fervently. My own family is multi-ethnic. My grandmother did all she could to hide her Cherokee half-- we got whiter and whiter as the years went by, until her stroke. Then, she forgot to deny being indian (I hate the term "native american"-- it was coined in 1972 by the dept. of the interior to describe all the tribes, along with hawaiians). My father was part black (remember "black is beautiful" from the 70's? "african american" smacks of insincere, condescending white guilt), and violently denied his heritage. He actually beat me unconscious at the age of 7, after I told him I wanted to marry Uleta Johnson when I grew up. She was kind, patient, honest, and sweet, and I truly adored her. After dad beat the hell out me, he fired her mum as our housekeeper. After all the trouble he'd gone to marry a white woman (he thought), he wasn't about to have me bring black features back into the family.
I thought we would have overcome this shameful tendency by now. I was heartbroken when I first encountered my first bigot with long hair. Talk about learning not to judge by appearance!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first thing I thought when I looked at that picture was that that was his home and he was glad it was still standing, and glad to be there, alive. So it made me smile.

I've only pretty recently started seeing blacks driving cars in Lisbon (like in the past five/ten years or so.) That also makes me smile, to think we have come a long way.

Trey said...

He makes me smile, too. I hope he's ok, and has somewhere to go. New Orleans is being evacuated due to hazardous conditions. There is talk of forced, at gun point if neccesary, evacuation. I hope it doesn't come to that.
The photo was attached to an associated press article "Katrina exposed facade of New Orleans" by Adam Nossifer. WWL tv in New Orleans offers live news http://www.wwltv.com/

Blog Widget by LinkWithin