Saturday, May 06, 2006

20 Hours of Short/Nasty/Brutish


(a prehistoric blog post, before the invention of "LOL")

The weather gods and the gods of electric utilities got together to express their contempt--we were without power from 10pm Thursday until 6pm Friday. Now I see my house as a big box that runs on electricity, and myself as a spoiled monkey that also runs on electricity much of the time.
It was dark, humid, and boring. No AC, no fan, no distraction from it all. I have long maintained to my naive young friends who glamorize the past that they are kidding themselves. In less than a full solar day I was ready to raid the houses across the street (unaffected, damn them) for their precious electricity, but it's hard to throw a cask of electric power over your shoulder, no matter how well armed you are with sticks and torches. I'll be making extra preparations for this year's hurricane season just to be sure.

5 comments:

M said...

The last time that happened to us we spent the evening listening to a battery operated radio. We had a nice time making fun of the program we were listening to. :) But we were glad when the electricity was back on.

Kurt said...

You need a laptop with a spare battery.

delta said...

I fall to pieces when my broadband connection goes, but all the power! My God, the humanity?!

mendacious said...

what a horror. i hope you weren't totally scarred? by it. i shudder- mainly at the terror of 'what if it happened here' and thank god i don't live in a humid place.

Karima said...

sometimes i pretend the power is gone and then i eat all of the ice cream in my freezer in one sitting so it won't be ruined.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin