Thursday, April 28, 2005

My Night Off

It's amazing weather here in Austin this week--Spring is getting serious about it. Birds, squirrels, opossums,raccoons--all in heat. Mating season for flora and fauna-- it's rather a bawdy place, these days. Tonight I found myself with time off from work/school, so being large and kinda dumb, I treated myself to a middle of the night bicycle ride. Mmmmm! Call me Peter Pan-- when I stand up while coasting, it feels like I'm flying. Night winds blowing to keep things cool. Neighborhood cats meeting in anarchist covens, keeping the world safe from secret menace. The streetlamps are a complexion flattering shade of bastard amber--if you do see anyone, they look marvelous. Oxygen high exhileration. No one around. Schools, churches, businesses all deserted and quiet. Everyone in their beds at 3:45 in the bloody hell. No traffic to dodge. Ride down the middle of the avenue if you like. Hills here are just right--steep enough to get the blood pumping, with a great downhill payoff. Whizz past friends' houses--wish them pleasant dreams. Ride, panting, to the house for rent down the street--the one with the ladened loquat tree in the front.
So far, there are no reports of a large nocturnal primate eating fruit off trees in my neighborhood. Discretion is the better part of having a good time. Wish you were here!
namaste

2 comments:

M said...

That sounded nice, like a roller coaster ride around town. You made me see it in my mind. :)

Whitney said...

I wish I could go biking when I'm hyper at 3ish in the morning. Unfortunately my bike needs new tires. :(

Blog Widget by LinkWithin