Thursday, December 11, 2008

Gentle Suggestions on the Topic of Tipping Your MT




I received an e-mail from a famous globe trotting, banjo playing blogger that contained the following words:" I'm shocked to find that $5 is a bad tip for a massage".

Many approach tipping their Massage Therapist in the same way as a waiter/server.
That will never do! Does the waiter take your order, prepare it, and then feed it to you, stroking your throat to induce swallowing? No, your waiter is off at other tables, out smoking a cig, snorting meth in the kitchen, chatting on their cell phones---you get the picture.

Your massage therapist, on the other hand, has their hands directly on you for about an hour, and the massage isn't happening unless they are directly exerting themselves. It is as different as is possible from a waiter's gig. Also, your massage therapist is a well trained, licensed and insured allied health professional. Your waiter is a skeezy stoner who has fucked at least half of their co-workers and stolen as much flatware and water glasses as possible.

So the next time you contemplate tipping your MT, imagine what the experience would be like if the MT bopped from table to table, stopped to smoke/smoke out, chat on the phone, have a quicky in the walk in freezer, and steal.

15 comments:

Kurt said...

You've convinced me - I'm lowering my tip for waiters!

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

As a former registered nurse, I was never tipped and I had my hands all kinds of places MT's probably don't go. I was vomitted on, bled on, yelled at and beat up a couple of times...is that considered a tip?

p.s. we have those flat squirrels around here too. I never realized before they were just waiting for their RMT.

Unknown said...

I've never had a professional massage, so I haven't committed a faux pas yet. I didn't even know you were supposed to tip massage therapists.

Trey said...

Kurt--they'll only shoot it up or snort it, so you are saving them from theselves.

PerCho--I was a nurse's id in a psych hospital--that's why I changed careers---less vomit/blood/yelling, more tips. Easy math.....

Julia--by all means, run right out, find a reputable and experienced MT--you'll want to tip :)

Trey said...

erm---"Nurse's AID", that is---I am my own id

Queen of France said...

i was a nurse's aid in rehab hospital (on the Stroke and Amputee section) and in Nursing homes AND i've had a professional massage and though both are rewarding in their own way (i mean, should you lose a limb - i can wrap that baby in a figure 8 that will help it heal in no time), i must admist the professional massage was more than wonderful.

And where i was going with all that drivel (true story but still drivel) is beyond me so...

Anonymous said...

my waiter is truly disgusting ! really ! i had NO idea!

M said...

I hope you're more gentle on your tips' demanding with cute, fluffy, tired squirrels. You only have to gently massage them with the tips of your fingers, anyway.

Megan said...

Suddenly my plans to eat out tonight are undergoing revision...

So, you know, what is the recommented MT tip amount?

Megan said...

Recommended, I mean.

Trey said...

Mariana--I massage squirrels for free--they still insist on tipping me acorns. You wouldn't believe the rooms full of acorns here at IRBHN World HQ.
Megan--It depends--if your MT is in private practice, you'll be paying more/they'll be earning more, so $10 is a really good tip, as they are earning about $60 for the massage. At a spa/clinic where MTs are working for a company, they generally are making about 1/3rd of industry standard---$10 is still pretty good. I never ask for tips, and my average is $20 [they tell me I'm good, but I don't know---I've never gotten massaged by me].

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

If I came to you in a squirrel costume would I get a free massage and could I tip in acorns? Mind you, wouldn't actually be free since it would cost a round trip ticket. Think I'll stick with my regular RMT. It's cheaper, even with the tip!

Squirrel said...

My MT lives with me and I wash his dishes and do his laundry. Do I still have to tip him?

Squirrel said...

Due to the acorn shortage I will be tipping you peanuts .

Anonymous said...

Since I am a LMT, and I paid for school by waitressing, I felt the need to comment... I was not a disgusting waitress, actually I even showered more than once a week, I kept my smoking to a minimum, only at home (and never cigarettes!), and only stole one set of salt and pepper shakers! As a massage therapist, I have not gotten urinated on, bled on or vomited on. I have however, gotten farted on, drooled on, and had to indure horrendous body odors of all types. Hour later cigarette breathe is my absolute fav.
I do love my job, and although it isn't required, I appreciate tips. I do try my best to give a relaxing and therapuetic massage, and I'm usually exhausted at the end of a long day. With two boys to feed at home, rest assured...your tip will be appreciated and put to good use.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin