Monday, June 05, 2006

Caspar David Friedrich


Image hosted by ImageShack
Click image for 325x400 version.


This is the back cover of a Taschen book with great reproductions of paintings by artist Caspar David Friedrich. It's only one of a series of softcover books of great artists released in Portugal by the newspaper Público. The first time I think they cost somewhere around 5 or 7 euros -- now I found a pile of them on sale for just 1 euro! I had to get one. :)

This is a portrait of the guy himself, painted by Gerhard von Kugelgen. It's marvelous of course, a real work of art, and he's looking handsome in a stern sort of way. But although he may be looking like a god here, it's more like the god Saturn, who ate his children for breakfast. I mean, how would you like to run into him in a dark alley? Unless you would, in which case please disregard everything I said.

3 comments:

Trey said...

He looks like a seriously pissed off Owen Wilson :D
How does one hold that expression long enough for a portrait? His face must have gotten really tired, doing all that work....I wonder if von Kugelgen taunted him every few minutes, just to maintain that scowl?

M said...

He has that look on his face, like "Please God, not another lame joke; you tell me another lame joke and I'm ready to go ballistic here!"

Natasha said...

😊 exactly my thoughts about Friedrich & Wilson. In fact I googled their names together to see if someone else also noticed.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin