Monday, March 26, 2007

Momento Mouri: Fred Wong 1973-2007

(keep an eye peeled for this image, coming soon to a tortilla near you)

It is with infinite sadness that I post this memorial to our late friend, Fred Wong. Fred appeared on the blogosphere (last time I ever use that word--promise) suddenly, and just as suddenly died of undisclosed causes. I often take comfort in Fred's kind words of encouragement: good. nice. blog.


But what do we really know about our fallen comrade? He was 34--although he appeared to be much, much, much, much, much older. He apparantly lived a very full life---or drank heavily. I'm going with the "full life" angle. Fred liked movies. Music was "good". Books-"ok".
Fred and I had a couple of things in common. We were both capricorns, both born year of the rat. Fred, however, was employed as a korean-to-chinese interpreter, living in Chad. How Chad felt about that, we haven't heard.But I'm betting Chad was "cool" with it--such was the charm of Fred Wong.


Fred's generosity of spirit was celebrated by McDonald's, with a free fillet-o-fish sandwhich for every customer who mentioned Fred--for a whole day. (President Reagan was only memorialized with a hot apple pie)
http://otherpeopleexist.blogspot.com/2007/03/march-24-2007.html


Death has not silenced Fred, however. Fred has posted more blogs (1) than he did while alive. And I suspect that it is his gentle hand that has guided me in the past several days, as I purchased a wok, several books on Asian cuisines, and beer.

http://fredwongsghost.blogspot.com/

Freddie, we hardly knew ye.

3 comments:

Kurt said...

Another incredible post.

Fred's death really surprised me, because I was so sure I didn't care about Fred until he was gone.

Flawed And Disorderly said...

I had NO idea this was even here. You're such a good man. Fred was a good man, too. He's a little wilder in the after life, but he still keeps it real.

I would never have guessed you had two bats in your ear once.

Anonymous said...

i cry. good blog.

you make me love you.long.time.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin