Saturday, August 20, 2005

Kriyas

In bodywork--particularly the deeper modalities--we look for "working signs" as cues to move to the next spot. Working signs include borborisms ( stomache noises),facial expressions, and "kriyas", or twitches that signal a release. Today was kriya day.
We have several projects this semester-- I was working with my final project partner--the recipient of 10 sessions of structural bodywork-- and we seemed to hit on some good spots. I saw a number and variety of kriyas, some so dramatic that it kinda spooked me for a second. But once my friend expressed that not only was he ok, but feeling great, it became intensely groovy to watch his body respond in unexpected ways. His forearm spasmed when I was working on the back of his thigh. Like I said, unexpected.
The more I learn about this stuff, the happier I am with my choice of livlihood.

2 comments:

M said...

It really does sound fascinating. I've never been quite sure what to believe about stuff like acupuncture, because they'll say they you pinch a bit of your ear lobe and that will have an effect on your stomach (making this up as an example.) But then you see things like the one you saw for yourself, touching a thigh and causing a spasm somewhere else and it gives one pause.

Trey said...

It has definately given me something to investigate. One of my instructors was telling us about cat scan studies of people meditating-- the results validated the yogic claims. I must find this data and share it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin