Sunday, February 13, 2005

Theraputic non-disclosure: habit, not life sentence


You know, all these years in psychiatric has been a bit like being a spy. Can't talk about work, what you do is confidential--all great for a sense of mystery, but merry hell on the conversation skills. That and the sort of conversations I've found myself in at work haven't been exactly, strictly, fundamentaly--reality based. My world, and please hold the door for me on the way out of it.I'm going to be a massage therapist in just a bit--should be ready to start a practice in June.It's going to be a completely different reality, working wise. That's been the point,really.Ramble, ramble, grumble whenge--anyway, I'm here today to practice my very rusty skills in the self disclosure department. The very thought is making me hyperventilate. Cool! Not much scares me. I'm not bragging or trying to sound badass. I'm whining, really. All these years of front line containing aggressive behavior in others has left me deficient in the sane survival type fear that smart people rely on to keep them out of trouble. I've gotten entrained to move TOWARD the angry threatening person. That's a habit I won't miss. I'm looking forward to becoming the mellowest boring old hippy I ever rolled my eyes at. My current persona has been described as "Jeeves as a bar bouncer". Gets wearing, being so polite and firm, keeping perfect diction in a crisis. Give me a pair of sandals, some herbal tea and call me "moonbeam". My life expectancy is going up. Ok--time for fun facts to know and blackmail Taarzaan with:

  1. 1. Taarzaan's first language? Czech!
  2. 2. Seriously? Yes!
  3. 3. How? Why? You were born on the east coast of Texas--WTF? I started talking way ahead of schedule. The babysitter spent the most time with me at that age. While the family thought I was babbling, I was really trying to talk to them. We still have communication problems.
  4. 4. A non-head bashing childhood memory? Our house was on a tarantula migration route. For a week each year our back wall was a spider hostel--they would all settle in around sunset, standing 2-3 deep. Ma kept the blinds drawn.
  5. 5.Name a few different professions, you job hopping jack of FA, you. Ok, it's embarassing--I've been working steadily since early adolescence. I've been, in order-- a teacher's aide, an usher, a car hop, a commercial copy writer(radio),a cook, a kitchen manager,a DJ (radio again) a delivery driver, a lab assistant, a landscaper,a nurse's aide, a photographer,a courier, a safe ride provider, a bartender, and a few other very short term or possibly shady things I don't talk about, they were years ago and there are no witnesses and it wasn't me, I was home sick, you can ask me ma.
  6. 6. Jeez Louise! What's wrong with you? I get bored. When it's time to go, there's nothing for it but to bugger off. No use pretending otherwise.
  7. 7. So, what makes you think THIS new venture is going to be any different? Good question, and a fair one, I'll admit. With the MT gig, I have to take a number of "continuing education units". That means I have to continue to learn things--new modalities--and they will be business expenses. How can I not keep myself happy--FORCED to learn new things--and claiming them as tax deductions? Colour me ready to learn-- best defense against boredom!

1 comment:

M said...

I'm kinda secretive about myself as well, but not because of a profession. It's just that, on one hand, if I'm trying to make a point I think my personal experience is (or should be) irrelevant. Like I don't have to have been persecuted for my race in order to have an opinion against racism, etc.

And on another level, as Monty Python would say, if they can't see you they cant kill you. ;)

You're always so kind to me, Trey, thanks for all the plugs! And nice/weird/deeply disturbing story your brother told you there... :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin