Thursday, February 17, 2005

Massage School

I just now, not 30 mins ago, finished the last of my required hours for the first semester of massage training. The first semester gets one ready/qualified to practice massage in the state of Texas.
When I first moved here to Austin, back in 1980, "massage" and "prostitution" were practically the same thing-- there were "parlours" everywhere--it was like an explosion of convenience store "doxy-ology", really, it was quite embarassing, they were EVERYWHERE, and if you knew anyone that worked at one, it was common knowledge that the busiest time of year was when the state legislature was in session. After much effort on the part of theraputic massage practitioners, the state put some effort into changing all that. I haven't seen a neighborhood den o'dodgy practice in years.
During my years in the inpatient psych gig (almost behind me now) several people assumed I was a massage therapist. Some just by the look of me, others by my touch. I would disabuse them of the notion, and then forget all about it. Well, friends, during a particularly gruesome tidal wave of crisis(just after the start of the war) I found myself wondering "what ELSE might I do for a living?" I knew it would have to be of benefit to people (I'm just a big old liberal humanist lifer), but it had to be something safer/less risky/not toxically stressful. That was when I remembered how folks had assumed I was a MT. Lightbulb over my head time! I started planning on the spot--found the website for the school, contacted admissions, applied for aide--everything happened so easily that it almost frightened me. That was more than 6 months ago.
Now I'm on the verge of internship-- we do 40 sessions with the public, taking histories, keeping records, and collecting payment(goes to the school, not us). Upon completion, we recieve our temp permits, good untill we test with the state for our official registration.
For my office, I'm thinking "Northern African" decor-wise. I want to offer a real get away feel for my stressed out clients. If you find yourself in Texas, drop in for my "blogger's special"--free therapy for visiting bloggers--extra attention to shoulders/arms/hands.
If you've never enjoyed a professional massage, PLEASE find a practitoner in your area. You deserve it, and as a primate,hardwired to need it. ok, enuff allreddy.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

It feels really gooooooooooood. *drool* I got to be one of his "homework" assignments, and it was wonderful. A friend of ours even went into REM (rapid eye movement...hence dreaming) during a session. He's that good!!! Trey rules! His name shall be Noname. Hee hee.
Trey, call me so we can set up another Buffy play date? Eh?
Lemme know,
Whitney

Blog Widget by LinkWithin